About this Policy
This policy sets out how virtualyard.com.au Limited (virtualyard) collects, uses and discloses your personal information.
By accessing or using virtualyard services you agree to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information in the manner described in this policy.
VirtualYard and privacy
virtualyard is bound by the Privacy Act (1988).
What personal information is collected?
virtualyard collects personal information to assist it and its related bodies corporate to conduct their activities and provide the range of services they offer.
Personal information collected by virtualyard may include:
• identification details, which may include name, birth date, gender, security questions and answers;
• bank account and credit account details;
• user ID's and passwords;
• services provided to you, including saved items and searches
• business information, such as ABN and licence number;
• information submitted in placing an advertisement, for example vehicle details and pricing;
• information submitted in applying for a finance or insurance related product;
• information about the devices on which you visit the virtualyard Network, and your activities on those sites;
• third party account details (for example where you sign in through a social network);
• social profile information;
• records and content of communications with virtualyard or any other person including records and content using Communications Services (as that term is defined in virtualyard’ Terms and Conditions of Use). Please note that such records and content may be stored and scanned by virtualyard.
How is personal information collected?
virtualyard collects personal information in a number of ways, including:
• directly from you when you provide information directly to virtualyard in person, by phone or in writing (whether electronic or otherwise) for example when you create an advertisement on one of our websites; when you enquire about an item on one of our websites; or in a contract with your business to provide you with our services;
• directly from you when you communicate with virtualyard or any other person using virtualyard Communications Services;
• from third parties such as:
◦ virtualyard related companies; resellers of virtualyard services and service providers to virtualyard;
◦ operators of linked or served web sites, applications and advertising on the virtualyard network;
◦ social networks where you choose to share that information when creating an account;
• from 3rd party data providers who have been directed by you to send us information on your behalf;
• through use of virtualyard proprietary software in which personal information is stored;
• from organisations identified or described under the heading "How is personal information disclosed"
How is personal information used?
Your personal information may be used for the following purposes:
• to maintain appropriate business records;
• to research, develop, improve and use within virtualyard products and services;
• to pre-populate / customise / provide shortcuts on our websites;
• to conduct surveys to determine use and satisfaction with virtualyard services;
• to generate statistics in relation to the virtualyard Network;
• for the purposes of feedback, reviews and ratings;
• to promote and market special offers and other services to you
• for purposes connected with the operation of the virtualyard Network;
• for staff training and quality assurance;
• to personalise the site experience and / or the advertising you see when you visit sites within the virtualyard Network.
How is personal information disclosed?
virtualyard may disclose personal information to individuals and organisations other than virtualyard. The organisations to which we may disclose personal information include:
• virtualyard staff and virtualyard' related bodies corporate
• the public if you advertise with virtualyard or use publicly available Communications Services
• individuals and organisations that advertise with virtualyard if you submit an enquiry or seek certain services through virtualyard - depending on your enquiry these may include:
◦ private advertisers;
◦ licensed car dealers;
◦ car brokers;
◦ operators of Linked Sites;
◦ financial service providers;
◦ insurance service providers;
◦ vehicle inspection service providers.
◦ If you do not want virtualyard to disclose your personal information to these individuals and organisations, you should not submit an enquiry.
• outsourced service providers who assist virtualyard to provide its services including:
◦ information technology providers;
◦ marketing and market research advisers; and
◦ professional advisers.
• entities to whom you request we send your information;
• resellers of virtualyard services;
• organisations involved in a sale/transfer of virtualyard assets, business or shares;
• to assist government or regulatory authorities or police;
• as we are required by law, for example pursuant to a subpoena or in accordance with unclaimed money legislation.
Maintaining personal information quality
virtualyard strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date records. To facilitate this, please let us know if any of your details change. You may update certain personal information through your membership account (if you have one) or contact us by email.
About security and personal Information
virtualyard takes reasonable steps to protect personal information collected from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modifications or disclosure. Your personal information may be stored in hard copy documents, but is generally stored electronically on virtualyard’ systems.
Transfer of personal information outside of Australia
Dealing with virtualyard anonymously
You may deal with virtualyard anonymously by using a pseudonym, unless virtualyard is required or authorised by law to deal only with an identified person, or it is impracticable for us to respond to you if you have not identified yourself.
What if you don't provide personal information?
If you choose not to provide personal information when requested, virtualyard may not be able to provide you with the full range of virtualyard services.
virtualyard Network, Linked Sites and personal information
When you visit a website or use an application on the virtualyard Network, virtualyard records anonymous information such as IP address, time, date, referring url, and other referral information, device information and location, carrier, site interactions such as your access to website features, pages accessed, content, searching activities, lead submission, and files accessed and downloaded, type of browser and operating system.
Such information collected by virtualyard may be linked to other information virtualyard holds about a user, compiling a complete profile about virtualyard users’ browsing activities on the virtualyard Network.
virtualyard uses “cookies” and other methods to collect and store the information set out above. A cookie is a small file that stays on your computer until, depending on whether it is a sessional or persistent cookie, you turn your computer off or it expires (this may be as little as 30 days or up 2 years, or longer in some cases). Cookies may be used by virtualyard or by service providers engaged by virtualyard to provide you with the full range of services it offers, remember your preferences, remember the sites you visit on the virtualyard Network, measure and analyse usage of the virtualyard Network and for security. Persistent cookies may be used to identify the sites you visit on the virtualyard Network and to personalise the advertising that you see when you make future visits to that site or other sites. You may adjust your Internet browser settings to disable cookies. If cookies are disabled virtualyard may not be able to provide you with the full range of virtualyard services.
virtualyard uses Nielsen/NetRatings web analytics tools to measure and analyse internet usage across our the virtualyard Network of websites. This service helps us measure and respond to our online consumers. The data collected does not identify a user personally.
What if I have a problem?
If you have a problem, complaint, want to change your personal information or just wish to enquire about privacy please contact us.
virtualyard treats complaints relating to privacy extremely seriously. If you submit a concern or complaint, we will endeavour to deal with it comprehensively and reach an outcome with which all parties are satisfied. If you would like further information about privacy in Australia, please review the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website.
How this policy changes
This policy may change over time. All changes will be published on this website.